Sunday, March 31

Dear earth inhabitant...part 2

"I’m saying that there are many things about our culture – from the way we live and how society is run - that actually contribute to people being sick....The only way to live healthy in this culture is to be in it, but not of it"  - Dr. Mate    http://torontostandard.com/the-sprawl/gabor-mat 

What will it take to tip the iceberg of unconsciousness toward consciousness? I went to a big store the other day only to see shopping cart after shopping cart being put into plastic bags. As far as I could see in all directions, I was the only person at the checkout line with my own reusable bags. I triple checked scanning the aisles on either side of me. It was such a weird moment. Really? We're still here? Come on.

While I can understand the occasional "oh I forgot my bags" person in line, to see that many people just without hesitation walk out with six or seven plastic bags of items was weird - I thought I had seen progress but it may have all just been in my imagination. I usually shop at smaller stores and notice how it's the other way around. So what will it take to create a massive shift in how we consume, what we consume, and how much of our consciousness we bring into that consumption?

To me, a lot of our issues, individually and globally, are the outcome of unconscious participation in the world - where we are driven and directed by uninformed impulses. We've given up our power to ask questions, to be curious about what something means or does, or what its consequences are. What we use in our lives, what we feed ourselves, what we feed our kids, what we bring home, how much of it we bring home, on so many levels is the perfect reflection of erratic gratification that is primarily sourced by ignorance.

This. Has. to. Change.

Can we be intelligent creators and consumers? Can we ask "if I create this thing, what will its impact be" before we birth things into the world? We've given up intelligence for convenience, and that's what's hurting our bodies, both our individual bodies and the shared body that is our home planet.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a quiet vegetarian who knows the power of the heart and mind in this play-field we call our world. We can make anything happen. I don't think everyone has to convert into any one type of eating style or consumerism or give up their home to live in a small portable box made of recycled material. I think we can have the capacity to marry luxury and convenience with intelligence and consciousness - to create and consume in ways that supports the expansion and evolution of our species while nurturing the earth ground we stand on. Diversity is meant to be enjoyed, and the fruits and variety of this beautiful earth are many. I think and feel, however, that if we set out to create and enjoy ourselves consciously in all that we do, in all that we bring into our bodies, minds, hearts, and homes, in all that we build and create, that our lives and ultimately our world and its structures would be transformed...for the better.

So I keep pondering...what will it take to roll this giant whale of unconsciousness onto its side and tickle it into wakefulness?

Cause this really has to change.

No comments:

Your brain hallucinates your conscious reality

Right now, billions of neurons in your brain are working together to generate a conscious experience -- and not just any conscious experie...