Monday, August 3

Reggae Fresh

Tour season is here. I had opted out of going to shows for more reasons than there is space for in my blog. So what happened? The songs started coming to me. The nightstand starts buzzing, and I flip open the phone to hear...fa la la la la, listen to the words I say, fa la la la la...

Well maybe not those particular words but some combination of tongue twisters that often send my face into all sorts of un-document-able twitches. Good one's. Only now something else is happening. Something that makes my whole body start to sway under the covers. A look glazes over my eyes. And I'm feelin' it! Really REALLY feelin' it!

It's dem reggae chunes! And I wouldn't have it ANY other way!

My love for reggae and all variations of island sprinkled beats is endless. I was raised on this. I spent the early part of my youth up on di reggae chunes. Lauda Mercy! Eere Me Now! Trading remixes and making mixed tapes (yes cassette tapes) for friends. I don't care what the songs about if it's set to a reggae beat. Now, I'd never "Walk Away from Love", but take me back to Bitty Mclean's version of the song and I'm feelin' it with everything I got and singing along like it's something I really mean. I can't explain the effect. My shoulders start to dip and my body starts to sway. There's just something about island rhythms.

We won't even talk about Bob Marley. We just won't.

So now, when my favorite boy with the fallopian voice starts singing inspiration to reggae beats, I realize something.

I really am dreaming the entire Universe.

Thank you to the angels who bring the show to my ears! I love being woken up by you and the mister!

in Love,
Kidest

No comments:

Baby Smiles as Meditation

You know when you're having a frazzled day and something pops up in your face to get you to slow down, get back to earth, and just remem...